Sunday 12 May 2013

Siblings Together Quilt Block Drive

Quilts for Siblings Together


Towards the end of last week you may have noticed that Lynne invited folks to join a Siblings Together Quilting Bee making twelve quilts over the course of a year for donating to the 2014 Siblings Together programme.  With a keen response oversubscribing her Bee, Lynne suggested that folks consider the possibility of starting up further Bees for themselves via the flickr group.  (There are a couple starting up so do pop over there if you're interested.) I thought this over for a few days and popped in to the flickr group now and again to see what kind of vibes there were for this.  And then, I had an idea (dangerous, I know)!

Reading the comments on the flickr group it seems that some folks might be willing to make a block or two but perhaps just don't have the time or resources to commit to a full Siblings Together monthly Bee.  So, rather than waste your willingness to contribute, here's what I'm thinking...

Siblings Together Quilt Block Drive!  You get to make as many blocks as you think you can manage for me to gather together and make up into a Siblings Together Quilt for 2014!  Want to join me?


My Siblings Together Churn Dash blocks for 2014 boy quilt.

Here's the info:

I plan to make a 6x5 block churn dash quilt for a boy (think age 10+ rather than tiny boy) and I will need 25 more blocks to complete a top.

If you would be interested in joining my block drive, please let me know in a comment below, or via flickr mail, how many blocks you want to contribute to the quilt.  Then, you make the blocks any time you like over the next 5 months (nice and slow) and post them back to me by the 31 October 2013 deadline.  I will then piece the blocks into a top and finish it off before donating it to Siblings Together as our collective effort.

I will post a 12.5" churn dash block tutorial in a few days time that you can use to make up the blocks from your own stash in a colour palette of blue, grey, red, orange and green in fabrics suitable for boys (no white, no insipid shades and no florals please).  Here are the type of fabrics I pulled just to give you an idea of the palette I had in mind.


Please use good quality quilting cottons, just two fabrics per block and stitch with a quarter inch seam to help ensure consistency among blocks being contributed by lots of different folks.

I think that about covers all the details except to say that if you want to join in I will need to be able to contact you, so please make sure to leave an email address in your comment if you are a no reply blogger.

I know lots of you folks that I know well are really heavily committed to all sorts of other Bees and charities, not least our own Bee Blessed, so please, please do not feel obliged to add to the pressures you may already feel under.  I am "advertising" this block drive on the flickr group for Siblings Together just to see if there are folks who want a low commitment kind of contribution to a quilt for such a worthy cause.  (If you haven't heard of Siblings Together, please check out Lynne's post which tells you all you will need to know.)

If any of you want to spread the news for me with a teeny mention to your readers, that would be a great help too.

So that's it!  Anyone in?

16 comments:

  1. I would be happy to send you 2 or 4 blocks, more if you end up short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I would be happy to send 2 blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Sarah - I can send you two blocks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had a look at my small stash, mostly girly I'm afraid, but I can manage 2 boy blocks, so I would be very happy to send 2 blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to send a few blocks, great idea. annebeange at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do 2 blocks and I have some blues, reds etc. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, and just the kind of commitment level I can handle right now! I can send two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to join in, I can do 2 blocks. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! Inspired! I'll happily make you a couple of blocks also, and will give it a plug when I next do a post. jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to make 4 blocks and ship them to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to make you 2 blocks. I'm at kirstie cantegreil (at) gmail (dot) com. Brilliant idea-I'll share it next time I post on my blog mirandaandlu.blogspot.com. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Count me in for two blocks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can send you 4 blocks. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to do 4, will be a good chance to learn some new quilting skills. Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. By my count you should have 30 blocks Sarah! Do you need any more!?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...