One of the other things I did while on holiday earlier this month was to have a wee play at crocheting a mandala for a hoop.
I took some scrap yarn just to play with and armed with the free Spirit Mandala pattern from Lillabjorn Crochet I spent a happy evening hooking away. It got a bit tricky when the final round was joining to the hoop - only in the sense of getting my hands in a tangle but it was very satisfying to finish the project and have it look like the pattern picture.
I won't keep this one on the hoop though because I don't really like the appearance of the yarn. I don't like my colour balance and the DK acrylic is a bit too heavy looking for the wallhanging I would eventually like a mandala to be. But this was play, and exactly the time to discover these things. My main aim was just to see if I could do it. Maybe when I'm ready make one for real, I'll try a finer cotton yarn. There are lots of possibilities and the fun part is that it can be hooked up in an evening!