Tuesday 19 May 2015

Moda Modern Building Blocks - Blocks 6 & 7


Blocks 6 and 7 are up next.  I managed to squeeze these and a few others in just before we rearranged the room at the weekend.


Moda Modern Building Blocks - Block 6
After all the triangles and flying geese, Block 6 was fast and fun and a brief relief.  It's an 18.5" block and I'm enjoying the pretty pinks and paisleys here.

Moda Modern Building Blocks - Block 7

I used more of the gorgeous paisley prints from Scrumptious for Block 7, but have to admit that this block was neither fast nor fun.  The cutting and piecing was all quite simple but I was so disappointed to find that the block ended up only 18" square when I'd finished.  I lost 0.5" both ways somehow!  I hated having to unpick all those pieces (and yes, I did a quick check to make sure I had cut correctly in the first place).  I stitched it all back together with a slightly more scant seam and pressed all seams open to eek out as much extra block size as I could.  Even after all that it's a little "tight" - urgh!  I love the orange fabrics and the block design so I'm crossing my fingers that the bias will help me manipulate it a little further when I need to join it into the quilt top.



2 comments:

  1. It's so annoying when there's no obvious reason for a block not coming in on size! They still look great! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both blocks! Have you tried starching the second block and giving it a good press? It's amazing how much can be taken up in 'not completely pressed flat' seams...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...