Friday 29 November 2013

This week's efforts

This week I have been monkeying around 



and the builders have been in ...



I tried to (sort of) make a start thinking about Christmas and the lists of things that need done.  My sewing list was empty for quite a while as I declared (to myself) I wasn't going to do the handmade Christmas thing / put myself under the pressure this year.  But I'm not very strong willed and now my list is looking rather healthier than I had wanted!



Meet Charlie, my first ever sock monkey, so named for his rather impressive ears.  I'm sure he will be renamed, if named at all, by his new owner once gifted.  Inspired by Indianna Dreams' recent post, he was a trial just to see if I could actually make one of these things.  I had an idea that if he was successful I'd have a go at making some more for the girls on my Christmas list.  Now that I'm happy that I know what I'm doing, even though I might reduce his ears a bit and try to eliminate the lumpy bumpy cellulite effect on his legs,  there is a 3 pack of girls' socks awaiting my attention for early December.



The builders may have trailed out all sorts of gubbins and created chaos in the sewing room but it was all in aid of these wee cuties.  All three will be gifted (even if they would look nice on my tree when we put it up) as a Secret Santa, hostess gift and the middle one will be the tree decoration to accompany my Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland Table Runner swap efforts.  Couple more ticks off the list!  (The swap runner is almost complete, hope to show you that soon.)

ETA - I forgot to list the tutorial for the little houses when I posted originally.  It's the Home for the Holidays tutorial by retro-mama and there's a very handy pdf pattern linked in her tute too.  I printed it at 75% to make the houses a wee bit smaller, though next time I'd probably just stick to the original size.



Tonight I am turning my attention to this sweet stack of fabric.  There has been a new arrival in my extended family and a quilt has been promised.  The brief from baby's granny (my aunt) is that the fabrics should be soft autumnal colours since the nursery has little woodland creatures and owls featuring.  I think (hope) that this lot will fit in nicely and there is a gorgeous gold fox flannel fabric for the backing but I don't know where the pic went.  Anyway, I'd best get on with it if I'm ever going to get through a baby quilt and a Christmas list in the next few weeks!

Hope your list is filled with fun things to be stitching and not too much stress - who am I kidding?



15 comments:

  1. Love a sock monkey - I made a family of 5 a long time ago, but I think that is my limit!
    Those houses are brilliant - I may have to copy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is great. And that animal fabric for the baby quilt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything here!!! So, so lovely. And your pull for the baby quilt looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look fantastic!!! The little houses are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE Charlie and his big ears! Can't wait to see more. And those wee houses are adorable. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta hate a messy builder ;o) Loving the monkey though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can you be stressed making these fun projects? I love the monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are busy for Christmas. love the cellulite on the monkey`s legs! Will pop over to see the tutorial for the houses as they look so cute and will wait to see how the lovely fabrics make into a bqby quilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the sock monkey, a girl that comes in to my work made 400 last year and sold them!!!
    Loving the little house, can I be your partner?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Charlie, he looks cute! I am planning to make some houses, or little ones, or a house quilt. I am a builder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the houses and your sock monkey - I now want to make them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlie is fabulous, and so are your wee houses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sock monkey, and the little houses are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those houses will look cute on their trees when they arrive home! Sock monkey is a handsome chappie, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charlie is great.....I like the appropriate name too. Those houses are so sweet and will gladden the cockles of the recipients' hearts. The bundle of fabrics are very pretty and I cannot wait to see what you 'cook up' with them. Di x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...