Saturday 2 August 2014

Sparkling Gemstones Quilt - a start


About three years ago I ordered this selection of bright Kaffe Fassett prints with a plan in mind.


These aren't my normal taste in fabrics but one of the quilts in this book - Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott - inspired my purchases.


This Sparkling Gemstones quilt caught my eye and I thought I'd give it a go.  However, the fabrics waited and waited and waited for some attention.  They waited rather longer than I had anticipated, so, when I joined in with the Finish Along this year, I thought it was time I made good on my plans.


So, I've been chopping fabric and chain piecing like crazy to create the required 108 blocks.  (I should note that no jelly roll was actually available for this quilt, so I had to cut my own 2.5"strips from a selection of long quarters. A pre-cut jelly roll would obviously have sped up this process.)


A few nights ago I laid out all of the blocks on my living room floor.  I switched a few here and there and am sure some of you might spot more I should swap around, but honestly I just had to call it done at one point because the knock on effect of swaps when 108 blocks are in play are practically endless!

I LOVE how this looks even though those fabrics are out of character choices, and I can really see how the Kaffe Fassets create the sparkling gemstones name of the quilt.  It feels great to have finally made a start on this long neglected project!

12 comments:

  1. Wow-eee! This is awesome? I also have to challegne myself with buying other fabrics, especially busy patterns!
    Your blocks look really fabulous together!
    YAY!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! What a great design for that fabric - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! Wouldn't have been my choice if fabrics either, but they look brilliant in that layout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. I have a bunch of K Fasset fabrics and I love them. This is a great pattern for them, they work really well in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! It looks wonderful x I have the book and keep going through it .. must make a decision as to what to make xx ,, you may have swayed me xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this is a wonderful, bright and cheerful quilt! It will make you smile every time you see it! grea make Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love these fabrics and the quilt design is the perfect choice to showcase them. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a colourful quilt, feel I need to make this too as it is so cheerful, will be checking out the Kaffe fabrics at the Festival of Quilts at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Sarah love the colours , so vibrant. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabrics are great in this quilt which need ones with no white. I looked for ages to find such colour dense fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fabrics work brilliantly for this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...