Monday 15 July 2019

Spelling Bee Quilt - progress 2

 I have a little more progress in my Spelling Bee block making to share.


C and D are the final letters of the quilt's first row.  It is fun to piece together the paired fabrics I chose for the lettering on this quilt.  Most of the coloured prints will be Lori Holt fabric or from other Riley Blake co-ordinating ranges that were part of my stash (and leftover from my Happy Days BOM quilt making).


The low volume backgrounds will all be from stash, though a few are from Lori Holt's collections too. The small piecing makes this quilt a great scrap buster, but there is sometimes the challenge of working out if your scrappy pieces will actually stretch to all the teeny cuts required for each block.  


Speaking of teeny cuts, I avoided some insane ones in this fabulous typewriter block pattern. Lori's instructions are for 32 squares to make up that 4" x 2" keyboard panel.  Yes, 32!!!  Don't forget this block is just 6.5' square as you see it there.  Basically, I couldn't face them, so luckily I had this perfect and amazing typewriter keyboard print (that I am always so afraid to use in case I run out) to use instead.  Job done, and no insane 32 squares.  Hats off to those of you who obeyed the rules on this one.  I'm also rather pleased with the typewritten script fabric I found in my stash  - just the job for the typewriter paper part of this block.

I am very fond of this typewriter block.  When I was a little girl I received a beautiful typewriter as a Christmas present one year and I absolutely loved it!  It was my dream present - always fancied myself becoming writer of some sorts ;-)

So, that's all the blocks now for the first row of my Spelling Bee quilt.  I need to get on now and cut more for row 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...