Monday 10 August 2020

Multi-coloured Blackwork




You will have noticed that hand stitching featured very heavily throughout my lockdown activity.  Mainly, because of lack of access to my sewing machine, but also I suspect because it felt smaller and more manageable at a time when my head was full to bursting with all sorts of concerns.

Scrolling IG one night I happened upon a reference to Peppermint Purple and was intrigued. Of course, I fell down the rabbit hole into a site of the most beautiful counted blackwork designs.  What I really loved was how modern these designs looked.  I have a history of cross stitching with a little blackwork thrown in, but it has been some time since I opened those supplies and tackled any counted stitch work.  If anything was going to tempt me back in, it was these designs and more specifically a couple that reminded of quilting.

So, I purchased two patterns.  This one is the Rainbow Cross Quilt and I just love how the stitches are worked in all of the colours!  Check out the other quilt inspired rainbow patterns here.


I had forgotten how intense counted work can be, especially on middle-aged eyes, but oh my, the results are lovely.  The grid outlining alone took me hours and hours but now that it is at this stage, it's a lot of fun just to choose one or two of the grid sections to fill when I pick it up again.


You can see that I still have a lot to do.  I'll admit I'm a bit intimidated by the yellow section that's next as it's pretty tricky to see your stitches well, and to be sure you've stitched correctly.  It's been so dull lately too, and that isn't helping.  But, I guess I should try and make the most of summer light while we still have it and stop putting those yellows off!

Let's see if I have any progress to show soon.

3 comments:

  1. Those modern embroidery designs look really nice. You did a great job until now. Just keep counting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really satisfying, and it will look great when done

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be gorgeous! Now, tackle the yellow sections while we still have some daylight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...