I managed to source periodic table fabric,
chemical equations (chemistry student),
musical notation (DS plays trombone),
little vintage engineering drawings - aeroplanes,
and motor cars,
and some rocket science ;-)
physics, chemistry, (physics student)
geometry, (maths and further maths student)
a feint script print which is about mapping, latitude and longitudes (super keen orienteerer)
all set in a mix of other tonal script fabrics and DS's choice of turquoise and orange fabrics from my stash.
Most of my pattern suggestions were politely declined so I waited to see what DS would come back with.
He never did, but, when I made this quilt (above) for a friend, I could see the pattern's potential for use on the bundle of fabrics awaiting our/my attention. It also nicely fulfilled the "no fussy stuff" brief. DS couldn't quite see it though. I think it was hard for him to look beyond the florals of the quilt I was holding in front of him.
So, I doodled ...
and I played with colour placement and his lovely eyes lit up. Yep, he liked them. The mix of his colour choices (far right) was his favourite of the ones I'd offered.
So, there was a plan.
But there was no time, and he wasn't in a hurry, and so it sat unstitched. Until now ...
We did some laying out and re-arranging, including the extra row on the floor because neither bed nor floor was big enough for all of it.
We decided on 13.5" unfinished squares, so while not the biggest quilt at 78" square, it is generous and definitely enough for a strenuous machine wrangle come quilting time.
When DS saw it all laid out he declared it 'better than he could have imagined' and has asked if, rather than it being considered a 'late' quilt, could it be his take away to university quilt? He's a wee bit ahead of himself, but I am secretly stoked that he likes it this much!
Unfortunately, I encountered a big problem when I was trying to quilt it last weekend. Just over half way through the quilting, I moved the quilt out from under the machine to start a new line and heard lots of little pops as the stitching broke in many of the lines. It was so discouraging, especially after a whole evening's worth of work. The stitch length was good, the tension wasn't a problem and the quilting looked lovely from the front.
But, all the breaks unfortunately make a complete unpick necessary. Having consulted better quilting brains than mine on IG, I think the issue may be that the Aurifil 50 wt thread is just not strong enough for the movement in the wavy line quilting on the diagonal bias of the quilt.
So, when I eventually finish un-quilting, I will use a stronger thread and possibly straight line quilting on this lovely quilt. Officially I have (hopefully) another year and a half before it's required in student accommodation, but it would be awfully nice if the unpicking was a little quicker than that. So, here's to not losing motivation by acres of unpicking stitches and hope for an early finish, instead of it being two year's late. You never know ...