Wednesday 12 August 2020

Jelly Snowflake QAL




After months of just hand stitching, in July I finally caved and unpacked my sewing machine and some supplies.  Without much of a plan, and existing WIPs yet to be rediscovered among packing boxes, I did start some new projects.  As well as the Scrappy Table Topper which I am using as a sewing machine mat, and my Applique Hearts Boxy Bag, I allowed myself to fall headlong into the Fat Quarter Shop's Jelly Snowflake QAL.

I did talk myself out of it at first, but among the boxes I had re-opened, this Makower Scandi fabric was sitting on top winking at me and pleading to be a snowflake!! Honest ;-)


Week 1 blocks
I think like the embroidery SALs in April, May and June, I have really enjoyed stitching along with something a little bit at a time. There's been no pressure to rush through anything because you do this week's section or blocks and the release of the next part is another week away.  It's a project progressing without pressure and it provided a little structure in a way; structure that Lockdown seemed to wipe clear from my days.


Week 2 blocks

Each week FQS popped up a free pdf for new blocks and each week I cut and sewed them happily. Even though I didn't know how the finished quilt would look - gasp! Risky business! Thankfully, each week was a pleasure - nice simple piecing and very satisfying 'ticking off the list' a little at a time.

Week 3 blocks



At week 3 it was possible to get a better idea of the quilt by laying out the story so far.

Week 4 blocks



At the end of week 4 the centre of the quilt remained a mystery.


Week 5 added centre and borders and sitched all the blocks together

It turned out to be just a 6.5" square of background.  Lots of folks in the IG # opted to piece alternative centres - lots of them look amazing - but I chose to add a square of the same cream/red contrast fabric that I used in the centre of the sawtooth stars.  It works well for me.



Since the Jelly Snowflake pattern finishes at just 50.5" square, I decided to use up the remainder of the Scandi fabrics by piecing some borders.  It was a bit of a brain tease to eek out the fabrics and leave enough for binding but I did manage (even with a cutting error).  It measures 61" square I think. I had to compromise on binding cuts though, as I only had enough of one fabric to cut binding strips at 1.75". So single fold binding it shall be, when the time comes.

I'm quite pleased to have gotten this quilt out of my stash.  Avoiding further purchases at this time feels like a positive achievement!

I'm not sure how I want to quilt this and I need to unearth wadding and backing supplies from somewhere in the box piles, so I'm going to leave it aside for a little bit, but I do fully intend to finish it before December, so that it doesn't become a long term UFO.

The other pleasure in this QAL was that some of my lovely sewing friends joined me on the journey.  It was fun to have stitchy chat about your common project and I'm sure that Trudi and Di and Shiela will have amazing quilts when they are finished, too!

This simple Christmas quilt pattern from FQS is still available if you'd like to have a try yourself!




1 comment:

  1. It’s a gorgeous top and I really enjoyed watching it develop!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...