Friday 14 November 2014

Knitted Socks!

It has been a VERY long time since I have knit anything but this summer a chance conversation got me thinking and eventually led to a little self-challenge to knit some socks - you know, just to see if I could.



This pic is probably about attempt no 5 to wrestle those needles into submission!  I can't say I found it easy but it does get a bit better as you stick at it.  Manipulating four needles to knit over three was all a bit confounding to say the least.


Then, once I got the hang of that I had some issues with loose stitching where the needle sections joined.  I think I may have ripped back about a sock and a half's worth of stitches at various stages but eventually I had one stripey sock knit - yay!

That was encouragement enough not to give up and to get on with the second sock which was much easier than no 1.  And so, after a little blocking to make them a presentable pair I gifted them to a friend who was keen to have some handknit socks (though I think she may have been hoping for slightly more professional ones than mine). Anyway, she was graciously pleased with them and I guess she can always hide them under her winter boots so no one will see the beginner's errors!



So after my little self-challenge will I ever knit more socks? Actually, yes I think I will.  In spite of the initial tangle of needles I enjoyed it and as long as there's no hurry (I am super slow- took 4wks for pair no 1!!) I might try a few of the other patterns my IG sock knitting friends have been kind enough to suggest and share.  I also need to coax my own feet to get along better with the wool content of those beautiful self-patterning yarns so I can actually wear them myself.

If you are interested my wool is Sirdar Heart and Sole Wool rich 4 ply sock yarn and the pattern was on the back of the label. I used 2.75mm double pointed needles.


13 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! They are beautiful - don't be so hard on yourself. I'm currently on pair number 3 (a Christmas gift - I know what you mean about deadlines!) and find them the perfect portable craft since I'm not a hand stitcher. Your needles look very long!! I have wee short ones and while I run the risk of y=them shooting off the other end I find them easier to manipulate. I've just measured them (lunch break knitting all this week!) and they're 15cm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, socks - I've knit my first pair this year and am on my second (but think I might redo them as I'm trying to knit with thicker wool).
    I've tried to toe up version on 1 circular needle - brilliant as you can fit it as you go and know you won't run out of yarn at the end if you've knit the leg too long......
    Do you dye your own yarn ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of sock patterns around, some free, I think, on ravelry, and hand knit socks are a lovely wear!
    Different patterns fit different feet, too.. I speak with all the authority of one who has daughters who knit socks.....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, can you introduce me to your sock knitting friends! I love knitting socks,have knitted 3 pairs, admittedly very slowly. Steps sock wool from Jean's wools shop is good. I feel such an achievement, even if they never do quite match. (ps 5 needles is easier than 4)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry in my excitement, I forgot to say, love your socks - well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well done! I did socks only once the last time and ended up with two different ones and the string is still not sewn away :D my girl loves them as they are so nice and warm! Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh these are gorgeous! Nothing beats the feeling of hand knit socks on feet (except perhaps new slippers!) Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are lovely! Now that you have socks down, you can make mittens ever so quickly, they are basically socks without a heel and instead a thumb which is so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done you.. They are lovely I still haven't got the nack of knitting with 4 needles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look fab! You've just reminded me that I've got a set of sock yarn that in bought in the Christmas sales, maybe I should dig it out and have a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hand knitted socks are the best and those very socks are keeping my toes very warm and cosy. Thank my friend. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are brilliant Sarah. And, great minds think alike, I knitted a pair in the exact same wool, also as a gift and they went down a storm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great-looking socks. Have you tried knitting socks with two (16 inch) circular needles instead of double-points? It's so much easier and faster, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...