After piecing this tiddly sawtooth star centre for my second Dear Jane block, I hit a bit of a wall in progressing. I know! It's only my second block and already I'm having problems. Essentially, that 1" sawtooth star is a mass of seams of the back side that make the little block super bulky and when I tried adding the next pieces by EPP, the result was a hideous skewed mess. I didn't take a photo and almost threw the whole thing away and started over.
Anyway, huge procrastination followed as I tried to decide what to do. Finally, I opted to machine piece the next round on to the star which allowed me to get a much neater, firmer and flatter finish on those seams to make the pentagon. It's probably an obvious solution, but I was reluctant, I think, because originally I had wanted to EPP this quilt in its entirety. Now, two blocks in I've already introduced machine quilting in both to solve my EPP hiccups.
So, it seems my Dear Jane quilt will be a combination of what works and really, that's ok as long as it doesn't look strange. There is no hurry but I would like to keep progressing rather than getting stuck and never moving forward for want of a little machine fix.
Here are my first two blocks now joined. By no means perfect, but I'm happy with them and loving these fabrics. Onwards to a Lemoyne Star for my third block, with thankfully much bigger star pieces :-)