Friday 30 January 2015

Memory Quilts - Getting on with it

Doing my very best to stay focussed on the Memory Quilts here, even though so many other lovelies are calling my name from the various books, boxes and shelves of my sewing room.  La la la la - I'm not listening!  But oh how I wish I could.  Just for a small project or two.  I'm in the mood to do something I can start and finish in a weekend.  Must not give in, must remain focussed!



So, the result of such amazing self-denial is that the red pixel heart memory quilt top is now all pieced




and so is the aqua one.  I'm happy that both seem to have worked well and that the heart made from my Brother-in-law's shirt fabrics is well enough defined in each case.  These tops measure 60.5" which is a little smaller than Judith's original pattern (I used a slightly smaller square as my pixel base size).

I've hung the tops up for now as I ponder potential sources of backings - to piece or not to piece?  Will depend greatly on available suitable fabrics and available time and as you well know, pieced backing are not my favourite thing to do.  We'll see ....




With the pixels underway, I did break up the monotony of sewing so many squares together (there's a lot of them in two quilts!) by starting on the wonky stars that will be the feature of the memory quilt for our nephew.  I do love making wonky stars.  Nice tutorial here if you've never tried them before.



Once the aqua heart top was completed, I whipped up the remaining wonky stars (9 in total) and then spent an evening on my knees laying out the third memory quilt.  I do like these randomly placed stars and coloured pixels (stardust perhaps?) among the more muted shirt fabric background.


Layout finalised, I gathered everything up in labelled sections to make the piecing easier (I hope) and to avoid muddling up squares.  After spending so long trying to make sure no two same fabrics were touching, I do not want to get these shuffled up now!

So, looks like my weekend sewing is sorted.  What will you be up to?

10 comments:

  1. The tops are lovely. I especially like the wonky star one. You have quite a job ahead of you to finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so lovely! If you need any of my denim look chambray/shirting (60" wide) just give me a shout. I've loads! Might work on your nephew's one. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful memory quilts. I particularly like the bright wonky stars scattered about on the one for your nephew. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made cracking progress and all three tops are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, those pixel heart tops have turned out beautifully and I love the starburst top for your nephew. Lots of hard work from you. Well done my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow the star quilt is just my cup of tea. It looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. All looking fab, well done for persevering!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...