Tuesday 21 August 2012

Deconstruct before Reconstruct

In the odd moments between other things, I have been deconstructing this pile of shirts (and a few more) for my son's slow-time Squares and Strips bed quilt.


When I first posted my intentions for these shirts, the lovely Trudi sent me a very helpful link on shirt de-boning.   You should take a look if you are interested in making the most of every bit of available fabric there is to be had from shirts - it made me think twice about some of the areas where the fabric is more usable that I had first thought.

I must admit though that I wasn't quite as diligent as Bonnie in my de-boning, probably because I'm too lazy or life is just a wee bit too short at the moment.  In any case, I am making inroads to the pile, measuring and chopping and storing away for the future blocks.



I suspect (or perhaps just hope) that this cutting will be by far the most time consuming part of working on this little bed quilt.  Whilst there is something special about repurposing family clothing, there is also a LOT to be said for nice big pieces of flat straight fabric from the bolt that allow your rotary cutter to whizz through them.

Still, there's no rush on this one and I did declare it to be my slower time quilt, so I shall plod on measuring and cutting the pieces individually as the various shapes of the shirt pieces will allow.  I am looking forward to how the blocks will come together though, and so is my son who keeps popping in to the sewing room to see if I cut any more pieces today!  I love that he's keen on having his quilt made but a little too cool to admit it ;-)


10 comments:

  1. It is going to be such a great boy quilt. Having deconstructed jeans, is really is a time consuming process. Much more than you would think before you start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Great idea, the ultimate upcycling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be worth it once all those shirts deconstructed and cut. It will make a really good boy quilt. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will make a great boy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic pieces, Sarah! Can't wait to see how this progresses (in time!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally worthwhile! It's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have done a lot of ironing and cutting up there - it's going to look great

    ReplyDelete
  8. The colours are lovely! It's going to be so worth all the time and effort! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I had seen that link when I de-boned my Dad's shirts. I just hacked into mine, cutting off collars , buttons and cuffs. Look forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it will be worth it and it is eco friendly!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...