It's been a while since I've had a paper piecing project on the go. I have been tempted by some other patterns I've seen lately but when I spotted Fiona's Apple Core quilt in the first issue of Quilt Now it was a clincher.
I like the large size of the pieces and decided to trial two apple cores just to be sure I could manage it before committing to cutting all the fabrics. Seemed to go together well, though it's definitely different from stitching 1" hexies!
When I was deciding what fabrics to use for this project I wanted something soft and pastel (possibly inspired by the sorbet theme of the Quilt Now magazine) and I wanted to use what I have, not have to go buying more fabrics. As I pulled, I realised that my selections were beginning to look much like the fabric pull for my Farmer's Wife Sampler a few summers back.
So, I pulled down the FW box and rescued those fabrics from languishing unloved and unused. It was a spur of the moment thing and in a funny way, I feel a slight sense of relief about them. I have been trying to decide if I will ever pick up the Farmer's Wife blocks again. I only made about 20 and haven't known if I should do more to finish or just move on because my motivation for it vanished. So, it seems I've decided to move on and think the apple cores will be lovely in my previously FW fabrics.
As always with EPP there's a lot of preparation, so this week I've been cutting and cutting and cutting templates and fabrics, and I know there's a lot of basting ahead, but once I get that done I will have a lovely relaxing handwork project. I really am looking forward to seeing it progress.