Sunday 3 February 2013

Humdingalingcious!

It's finished!  The humdinger recycled shirts quilt is all bound and labelled and has been road tested (bed tested?) to great satisfaction.




I truly love this quilt.  When I started on this shirt recycling venture, I was a little worried that I wouldn't get the scrappy thing very well, that either I would over-engineer the scrappy look (in my OCD way) so it would no longer be scrappy, or that indeed it would just look chucked together.  I never seem to know how to get it right. But hooray, I think this one looks suitably randomly scrappy - you are not allowed to disagree and burst my bubble!

In spite of it being a beast to quilt, and I really mean that, I just love the resulting snuggly quilt.  It's very special to us since all three of us have contributed a number of our old shirts to the making of the quilt top.  Surprisingly, all of the pinks in the shirt fabrics are hubby's and son's shirts, not mine! The only new fabric in this quilt is the burgundy solid I bought to bind it with.  I didn't want to go scrappy with the binding as most of the shirts left were pale and I'm not sure we own a shirt that it'd be possible to cut 9 metres of binding strips from!  If you're interested, the pattern was Cluck Cluck Sew's Squares and Stripes Quilt.

Now, anyone know a good physio?  My shoulders are killing me!


17 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah, it is brilliant. You should be so justifiably proud. Your son must be over the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so interesting to see as I have just gor permission from my hubby to cut up some of his gagillion checked and striped shirts. I want to combine them with my son's. Perhaps I should chuck a couple of mine in. Your quilt is wonderful and understandably very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is brilliant, the colours work so well together. The pattern is just what I have been looking for since seeing Bonnie Hunter cutting up shirts. I haven't collected enough variety yet in colour and pattern. You have inspired me to at least try two blocks a month, with what I have and add others as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has worked really well, you must be pleased with the result. Crisp and masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fabulous - love it and worth the temporary aching shoulders I'm sure? Treat yourself to a soak in the tub!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't dare burst your bubble!
    The quilt looks fab. Well done. Nice and snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this quilt! I have a stash of shirts just waiting to be filleted for a something just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally gorgeous! I'm not surprised your son loves it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh well done S! This is one beautiful, scrappy, shirty quilt! I love it! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I have a pile of shirts, but not enough to make a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! I bet there are huge grins of satisfaction all around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah I love this, I am currently working on 6 mini memory quilts with old shirts so this has been a real inspiration to see the finished job x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have done a wonderful job. It looks scrappy in a good way and I just love how the fabrics are full of memories. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks absoulutely fantastic Sarah - well done on persevering

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it!! It looks so cosy and inviting and well done you on creating such an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of recycling old clothes. This is absolutely beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do try to respond to every comment, but forgive me if occasionally time does not permit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...